Rhinoplasty: What to Do After the Surgery
The gauze to be adhered to the upper lip for the first 2 days prevents possible bleeding from contaminating the patient. Rhinoplasty…
It can be performed under local anesthesia, accompanied by sedation or under general anesthesia, depending on the preference of the patient and the doctor. The operation may take between 1 hour and 6 hours depending on the existing nasal deformity. The physician should have explained the changes he plans to make to the patient in detail. After endonasal or external incisions, the septum deviation (curvature of the wall in the middle of the nose) is corrected and the operation is started. This process is functionally important. After the septum deviation is corrected, all deformities are corrected one by one according to the preoperative plan. If there is a hump (arch) on the back of the nose, it is removed, the irregularities are corrected, if necessary, the bone side walls of the nose are broken and the opening on the back of the nose is closed. Interventions are made for the cartilage at the tip of the nose. Cartilages obtained from the septum are used during surgery to make various corrections, support the tissues or give the desired shape. If the patient has had another nose surgery and there is not enough cartilage in the nose, these cartilages can also be obtained from the ear or ribs. The incisions made at the beginning are closed by suturing. After the surgery, tampons may not be placed in the nose, and silicone-made tampons are preferred, where the patient can breathe comfortably, in the stages where the tampon is required. Thus, the patient does not have difficulty in breathing after the surgery and has a more comfortable period. The back of the nose is plastered and protected with plaster or special molds, and the operation is terminated.
What to Do After the Surgery
- With 2 or 4 pillows, you should sleep with your head up.
- Since the steam of very hot foods will increase bleeding and nasal congestion, very hot foods should not be consumed, especially in the first week.
- The gauze to be adhered to the upper lip for the first 2 days prevents possible bleeding from contaminating the patient.
- Cold gels or ice to be applied around the eyes and cheeks will reduce swelling and bruising. You can apply this for up to 72 hours.
- In the first days following the surgery, very hard foods should not be chewed, softer foods should be preferred.
- Bed rest may be required for 2 days after the surgery.
- Sports should not be done for 2 weeks after the operation.
- The face can be washed without getting the dressings wet. Hair should not be washed for 1 week, if there is someone to help the patient, it can be washed as if washing hair at the hairdresser. Nasal pads and external dressing should not be wetted.
- Wearing tight clothes should be avoided for 1 week.
It should be protected from the sun and sun rays for 6 weeks, otherwise it will take a long time for the swelling on the face to improve.
- Do not swim for 1 month, this may cause trauma.
- Facial swelling may occur 3 to 4 days after the operation. In most cases, swelling will subside within 2 to 3 weeks, but in some cases, the reduced swelling may take 12 to 18 months.
- Bruises that occur after surgery may last up to 2 weeks. It usually disappears after the 10th day, if it lasts longer, concealer make-up can be applied.
- Only drugs recommended by the physician should be used.
- Glasses should not be used for 4 weeks.
- Lens can be used 2 days after the operation.
The doctor examines the patient at regular intervals according to the needs of the patient, more frequently in the first 3 weeks. The routine follow-up protocol is to check the patient at 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year and then once a year. With this protocol, the patient and the surgeon can evaluate the results of the surgery together.
Hello our dear visitor. Welcome to the largest ongoing health tourism site in Turkey. Do not make any attempt to benefit from any health service in Turkey without consulting us.
You can write to firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions you may have.