Rhinoplasty: Before the operation
The plastic surgeon must talk to the patient in order to analyze his request and his motivations. Rhinoplasty…
What is rhinoplasty?
The objective of a rhinoplasty is to improve the aesthetics of the nose or to restore its functioning.
Both objectives can possibly be achieved during the same operation. Respiratory problems can be corrected during cosmetic surgery. In this case, it is important to report them to the surgeon at the first consultation. A radiological study will possibly be necessary before the operation.
The aesthetic objective of rhinoplasty must be discussed with the surgeon and, sometimes, with those around you. To facilitate the decision, the surgeons use photographic simulations of the result which allow the future operator to imagine himself from different angles of view with a “new nose”.
We distinguish :
- Corrective rhinoplasty, for aesthetic purposes, the objective of which is to modify the morphology of the nasal bone pyramid in order to improve the appearance of the nose;
- Functional rhinoplasty, for medical purposes, the aim of which is to remedy breathing difficulties due to a deviation, a deformation of the nasal septum or a thickening of the turbinates;
- Restorative or reconstructive rhinoplasty, which occurs following trauma with a fracture of the nose or a congenital malformation. From the point of view of Social Security, this type of intervention can also be considered as a functional rhinoplasty.
A rhinoplasty for aesthetic purposes will preferably be performed after 18 years, the age that corresponds to the end of growth.
A functional rhinoplasty can be performed from the age of eight, however, if the child suffers from a deviation of the nasal septum following a trauma or a significant deformation of the nose.
Before the operation
The plastic surgeon must talk to the patient in order to analyze his request and his motivations. He performs a clinical examination: endonasal examination, study of the nasal bone pyramid and the skin of the face.
A photographic assessment is sometimes carried out to observe the characteristics of the face.
The expected result can be visualized and discussed from projections by photographic retouching or computer morphing.
The anesthesiologist then carries out a pre-operative assessment (at least 48 hours before the intervention).
It is necessary to respect a delay of several weeks between the first consultation, the decision and the surgical act, so as not to decide on the operation in a hurry and to benefit from the recommendations of the plastic surgeon to ensure the smooth running of the operation. .
During the two weeks preceding the intervention:
- no medicine containing aspirin should be taken
- current treatments (even oral contraceptives) must be reported to the plastic surgeon and the anesthetist who will decide if they should be interrupted
- it is recommended to quit smoking because of the risks of necrosis associated with smoking.
The day of hospitalization:
- Do not eat or drink anything at least 6 hours before the operation (the operation is done on an empty stomach);
- come to the Clinic or the hospital without make-up;
- wear clothes that are easy to put on and take off.
During the procedure
The operation is usually performed under general anesthesia. It can also be performed under local anesthesia or under “vigil” anesthesia, local anesthesia deepened by tranquilizers administered intravenously. The choice of the mode of anesthesia must be the subject of a discussion between the patient, the surgeon and the anesthesiologist; and will depend on the type of intervention to be performed.
The procedure lasts on average an hour or two. The majority of incisions are made inside the nose, so they are never visible.
The mucous membrane of the nose as well as the bony and cartilaginous parts are sculpted by the surgeon to come as close as possible to the desired shape. It is also possible to remove skin from each side of the nostrils to reduce the width of the nostrils and narrow the base of the nose.
Hello our dear visitor. Welcome to the largest ongoing health tourism site in Turkey. Do not make any attempt to benefit from any health service in Turkey without consulting us.
You can write to email@example.com for any questions you may have.