How do you notice scoliosis?
Generally it is the parents or the pediatrician or the sports doctor during a sports fitness visit to notice some typical signs, the typical signs of scoliosis…
Scoliosis tends to appear and is diagnosed in adolescence, and can also occur in people with particular pathologies of the nervous system, or in the case of particular neurological alterations such as in infantile cerebral palsy and muscular dystrophy, the cause of most childhood scoliosis is unknown. Most cases of scoliosis are mild, and do not lead to functional problems or pain, but some tend to worsen as children grow. More severe forms of scoliosis can be disabling, because a particularly altered spinal curve can reduce the amount of space inside the chest, making it difficult for the respiratory system to function properly.
Boys who have mild scoliosis are monitored closely, up to complete bone maturity to see if the curve worsens or remains stable within acceptable parameters.In most cases, scoliosis is so mild that it does not require specific intervention, in other cases , the treatment required is conservative, and therefore only physiotherapeutic, based on specific postural and strengthening exercises. Some guys will have to wear a torso for a period to prevent the curve from worsening. Others, fortunately a small percentage, may need of corrective surgery.
How do you notice scoliosis?
Generally it is the parents or the pediatrician or the sports doctor during a sports fitness visit to notice some typical signs, the typical signs of scoliosis consist of:
- Shoulder / shoulder blade asymmetry;
- Pelvis or waist asymmetry; One side higher than the other;
- One shoulder blade more prominent than the other;
- Dorsal hump that appears when the adolescent flexes anteriorly;
- One side of the rib cage that protrudes more than the other to the other.
When to consult a doctor or a specialist?
It is advisable to consult a doctor or a specialist for the correct classification and treatment of scoliosis to any of these signs listed above, the treatment and early monitoring in fact allow you to avoid surgery in many cases , even in the forms destined to get worse. Curves, although slight initially, can rapidly worsen with the growth of the adolescent.
What are the causes?
To date, the reasons for common scoliosis are not entirely clear, with the exception of those related to particular pathologies, healthy children can develop scoliosis even in the absence of direct inheritance. Other causes may be linked to particular neurological pathologies, birth defects. affecting skeletal development, previous surgery involving the thorax or spine, spinal injury / infections or spinal cord abnormalities.
The main risk factors for developing the most common type of scoliosis include:
- age → initially the onset is in adolescence;
- sex → generally females have a slightly higher incidence than males but in females the most severe forms are more frequent;
- family history → generally scoliosis is familiar but there are cases even in the total absence of familiarity.
Although most scoliosis is mild, some can progress, especially if not treated promptly and lead to several complications, including:
- Respiratory problems: In severe scoliosis, the rib cage may lose its ability to expand and limit lung or breathing capacity
- Spinal problems: People who have severe scoliosis may have more frequency or intensity of spinal pain as an adult, especially if the their scoliosis is very pronounced and has never been treated.
- Aesthetic Appearance: When scoliosis worsens it can be responsible for noticeable cosmetic changes, including irregular / asymmetrical hips and shoulders, sometimes the most severe scoliosis is also visible through clothing.
Hello our dear visitor. Welcome to the largest ongoing health tourism site in Turkey. Do not make any attempt to benefit from any health service in Turkey without consulting us.
You can write to firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions you may have.